Here are some of my quick short thoughts on the Chimera Ant Arc (I don’t think there are spoilers below. Just general “spoilers” on the nature of the arc.) :
- Bizeff getting a free pass actually feels fitting. It’s realistic in a way. But most of all, if he gets killed or something happens to him, wouldn’t that be too poetic or too much for a character like him? Do you really wanna see him get “special” treatment? haha. There are many (more than one) people who would’ve done the same thing as him if their circumstances were the same as his. Not giving him special treatment was only right for his character in contrast to what happened to the others.
- Killua’s deeply wounded. Gon’s wounds are also deep. I’m amazed at how incredible characters Gon and Killua have become, but emotionally Killua will always have more impact to me.
- As with an arc this big, and this complicated, the end is not the end. An event this big will have lingering effects on the whole world. It’s only proper that a lot of the storylines are still open and most events right now are just part of the aftermath of arc.
- The style the director was, IMO, trying to develop since the start of the series was fully realized here in this arc. The OST has always been weird in how over the top it was. In the early parts of the series I felt like the use of the music was really awkward, but here in Chimera Ant it was the exact opposite.
- The ride has been really amazing. Looking back and seeing how perfectly planned out and superbly executed this huge arc was. It’s something really special. It set out to do things and it succeeded in amazing ways. I’s just really special for me.
- There are episodes in every good anime which I feel are special episodes. In Chimera Ant, once the mission to the castle started, it was just special episode after special episode. It didn’t let up. That was really something. I doubt something close to that will happen again soon. It may sound like I’m saying HxH is my all-time favorite, but no. The other arcs didn’t reach the heights Chimera Ant reached for me. HxH as a whole is one of my favorites, but it’s clearly not the one on top.
The arc has been endlessly grim, especially in its view of humanity (endless malice). “We are far worse.” The ants were defeated basically because the humans were cheap and the ants weren’t. But if the human’s weren’t that way, they wouldn’t have survived. Reina(?)’s resolution was a glimmer of hope and that’s only proper for me. Things aren’t just black and white, or gray, it’s not that simple. Black, white, and gray are just dots in the whole color spectrum. We prefer to see it in simpler ways because it takes off the burden we have to carry for our beliefs and decisions. It takes loads of responsibility off us.
With the Election Arc’s length, I guess we only have one more cour of HxH anime goodness in store. Weeks will feel different once HxH leaves my weekly routine. I hope Togashi finishes the current arc before going on hiatus again so we can have canon HxH in anime again sooner rather than later haha